a TAPIF language assistant blog / un blog d’une assistante d’anglais

Like "So you think you can France?" Come join me at my new home, Katy on the Road!

Friday, March 15, 2013

Day by the Mediterranean (FINALLY!)

BREAKING NEWS: After living about 9 km from the Mediterranean sea for six months, I have finally actually been next to/breathed in/touched the Mediterranean! I have seen it many a times (in Marseille, in Italy/Greece, in the train, from Perpignan), but due to the distance to the beach/inconvenient public transport/lack of car/winter weather, I have not partaken in any beach activities around Narbonne.

However, Tuesday of the first week of break, Irene and I headed (with Zack and his girlfriend Lyndsay) out to Sète, which is about a 40 minute train ride east of here.

ta-da!

Sète is an actual Mediterranean city; it's probably something like what people picture in their mind when I say "I live by the Mediterranean." In short, it was fabulous, and I'm hoping we can put in a request to have all nine Narbonne assistants moved to Sète for the last six weeks of the contract. I'll let you know how that goes.







LOVED this store! We bought madeleines (like elongated muffins) and I got a tin here... I feel like no one knows sweet shops and their displays like France.

*

At this point, we had a lovely picnic by the beach - in sunshine warm enough to take off our jackets!* 

Okay, now this picture looks fairly silly because it looks like I'm missing the mark. But this is ACTUALLY the first time I touched the Mediterranean! I swear that a couple seconds before I was actually touching the water (the water was high enough to get my shoes wet)! Now it just looks like I'm a bit special.

Irene & Katy by the Mediterranean Sea, when less than two months prior we were at the Baltic Sea!

view from the top of Mont St. Clair (which took us FOREVER to climb, and almost as soon as we arrived, a great cloud descended upon Sète. Bien sûr.) ... If we're being honest, I could have just chilled on the beach all day. :)*

All-in-all, our journée sètoise was great. Nice weather, beautiful views, and fantastic company. Just how you'd like your first Mediterranean seaside day to be.

*These photos stolen from Irene as I was having technical difficulties!

No comments:

Post a Comment