a TAPIF language assistant blog / un blog d’une assistante d’anglais

Like "So you think you can France?" Come join me at my new home, Katy on the Road!

Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Very Merry Weihnachten

Well, as you know, I did not spend a "White (Texas) Christmas" or go "(No Place Like) Home for the Holidays" this year. As it was too expensive to travel home for Christmas vacation, and because I decided that "il faut profiter"* from being in Europe for these eight months, I spent my Christmas with Irene's family in their home in a village southeast of Munich. Irene invited me as soon as she found out I'd be in France (back in April), and this has been the plan ever since. I'm very, very thankful!

We pre-partied on the 23rd by baking Christmas cookies... here's Sophie and Simon!

I gathered all the cookie cutters that could be Texas-affiliated. Please note the "cowboy hat + cowboy mustache" combination on the left (cowboy mustache = moon). Also note that the one in the bottom right was said to be a "lemon" (Nici) and a "leaf" (Sophie), but anyone can tell it's a football.

Nici, Sophie, and Simon in action

our art

some of my creations... Please note the two Texas/heart combos, the cowboy hat/mustache combo, and all of the FOOTBALLS. (I made them brown so there's no denying.) ;)

post-cookie sunset

In Germany, they celebrate Christmas on the 24th. They don't decorate the Christmas tree until that day, and in almost all families, it's a real tree. They also traditionally use real candles (though some families now use electric lights). In families with children, the parents decorate the tree and put out the presents, then a bell is rung to indicate that the Christkind (Christ child) has come to bring the presents.

yours truly watering the tree... The needles are much less prickly than the ones on the few real trees we've had back in Texas. If we had trees like this, I'd always have a real one!

placing candle holders... Irene on ladder duty!

This is the only candle I put on the tree. Please note the perfection of the placement and angle. BAM. Also I just realized it looks like there's a branch right near the wick but there's not, I promise. Depth perception issues.

Finished product! Also notice the stable for Jesus & Co. that David constructed in like 10 minutes.

I just love sunsets.

O Tannenbaum!
Also yes those are the real candles burning!

Okay, you see those presents right there? They're mine. That's right, the family got me presents. Which was not what we agreed upon, or what I was expecting. I teared up (because I was moved, obviously) for the first time since I left home. Not that presents are at all what Christmas is about, but it was truly incredibly kind of them.

From Simon and David: Dr. Pepper (!) and a white wine from the region where Simon works (which we will drink for my birthday). ps: This is not a mixing suggestion. :)

From Irene's parents: the hat, scarf, and mittens on the left, which I was later able to use in Hamburg (you'll love the pictures). From Sophie, the tea and chocolate on the right, which are both delicious!

From Irene (with the help of Niclas): a checklist, showing in the first column things you can't miss (which I've done) in Munich, in the middle things you can't miss (which I've done) in Bavaria, and on the right things you can't miss in Hamburg, which Irene/Irene & Nici later would later take me to do. It was so special and I am hanging it up the minute I get back to Narbonne! (And I'll post Hamburg pics later, too, of course!)

Also, Irene's (and my) friends got me presents as well! Sonja gave me the cookies, and JoJo gave me the advent tea. Both are delicious. :)

dinner... something delicious Oswald and Simon made from Alsace with plenty of good meat and vegetables

fruit salad, decorated by Simon

the altar and baby Jesus at the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Irene's family's church, where we went to Christmas mass that evening

the nativity scene in the church

On my Christmas, December 25th, I took a short walk through the village to the church.

Christmas tree in the Marienplatz

Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

I took a walk through the cemetery around the church, which was decorated for Christmas. The sun was shining, it wasn't too cold (meanwhile it was snowing in Texas), and I could hear Beate playing the organ even from outside. It was beautifully serene.

This inscription is written on the doors during Christmastime, and it represents the year (2012) and the three kings/wise men, Caspar, Malchior, and Balthazar. On January 6th (Three Kings' Day/Epiphany), children dressed as the wise men come and change the year (2013).

the sunlit interior of the church

the church organ, which Beate plays - This afternoon, she played and I watched and listened to try to see how an organ works. The organ is a very complicated, very beautiful instrument.

Later, Oswald, Simon, Sophie, Irene, and I all went on a walk nearby while Beate stayed home to cook some of our amazing dinner.

You can't tell, but this lake is frozen!

The boys were faster than we were... you can blame my picture taking for that.

See the Alps in the background?!

Seriously.

the church at Andechs

view in Andechs (Again, see the Alps??)

spätzle, red cabbage, and venison - seriously delicious

Tati, David, and Simon

You know us. :)

This is the first Christmas I've ever been away, and it's strange to not be home and with family. Being away from all that is familiar at Christmastime could potentially be very lonely and sad. However, Irene and her family have treated me exactly as I if I were part of the family. They have included me in all of their traditions, fed me wonderful food, spoken to me in my language (imagine spending Christmas with your family and everyone speaking a foreign language for the sake of a guest!), and even given me gifts. I don't even know how to express how truly thankful I am to have been treated so kindly. I love and miss my own family, and my home, and my friends, and I don't plan on making Christmases away a habit. But I am very happy and thankful for the kindness of this family and for my once-in-a-lifetime Weihnachten!

*I'm clearly becoming French.

No comments:

Post a Comment