a TAPIF language assistant blog / un blog d’une assistante d’anglais

Like "So you think you can France?" Come join me at my new home, Katy on the Road!

Friday, August 24, 2012

Home Sweet Soon-to-Be Home

Probably the most exciting/nerve-racking part of this entire process was figuring out where exactly I would be placed. Through TAPIF, you have some choice in your region of placement (e.g., Montpellier), but absolutely NO choice in your city placement. You wait until you find out, and then you have a choice to a) accept or b) decline. Thazzit.

Now, I tried to get what I wanted by choosing a region in the south. First of all, I've never been in the south, and I wanted to see something new! Second of all, I HATE the cold. Hate. it. Once I found out I was in the Académie de Montpellier, I was pretty excited. However, there is a portion that stretches somewhat north, and there are also the Pyrénées, so there was no guarantee of warmth.

In my mind, the worst possible scenario would be me in a tiny, freezing, remote village somewhere with no easy access to any larger cities. In this hypothetical situation, I cry often, write sad daily emails home, read a lot of books,* and attempt to befriend sheep.

Belle makes this look good. (Thanks Disney!)

I, however, would probably look more like Buster than Belle, in reality.
(Arrested Development Netflix series and movie... PLEASE?!)

... or this. (verydemotivational.com + me)

Like I said. Worst case scenario. (Only imagine me in that last picture with like four scarves and a wool hat, because it's cold in this nightmare, remember?)

Then, in my KatyMind, I had these two much better alternatives:

1) I end up in a bigger city, anywhere. (I always prefer the sun, but if I were in a bigger city with more to do and good transportation, I could do the cold... kind of. Maybe.)

2) I end up in a small, charming city, as long as it's a) near some water, b) near some bigger cities, and/or c) somewhere sunny.

Well, on June 16th, I got my arrêté de nomination and discovered my placement in Narbonne ("Nar" sounds just like it looks and rhymes with car, "bonne" sounds like bun, as in hot cross or honey), meaning I got alternative #2! I had never heard of this little city, which has a population of about 60,000 and dates back to the Roman empire, when what's now France was Gaul. It was located on the Via Domitia (first Roman road in Gaul), and it even has part of the original road exposed in the middle of the city (the history nerd in me is squealing). It also has a little canal, Canal de la Robine, that goes through the city! 


It's also about 10 km from the Mediterranean, and there are several beaches nearby. It boasts around 300 days of sun a year. 

Now you know where Narbonne is, thanks to GoogleMaps.

It's also about an hour away from both Carcassonne and Perpignan, an hour and a half from Montpellier, and two hours from Barcelona. 

Basically, I'm a happy girl. The small city thing will be interesting, but I'm actually really appreciative of it (in theory, at least) as a true departure from my life here in the States. (Lord knows I would never try the small town scene here (no offense, anyone). I'm definitely a city mouse!**) And I know that there will eventually be things I don't 100% love about the town. However, at this point, all-in-all I'm charmed. I'm a little in love with my soon-to-be home, and I can't wait to be there and take pictures and show you around myself. :)

*To be fair, books are a part of the worst case scenario, the best case scenario, and any scenario in between.

**What up, Aesop! I use the country mouse/city mouse reference all the time, and I feel like no one ever gets it. What is wrong with people?

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I may have to visit!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... The small towns we visited in France on the London/Paris trip were my favorite. They're so cute and quaint! Granted, I only spent a day in each one...

    ReplyDelete