a TAPIF language assistant blog / un blog d’une assistante d’anglais

Like "So you think you can France?" Come join me at my new home, Katy on the Road!

Friday, August 31, 2012

Return to Deutschland

Well, if you remember from my To-Do list, I've been considering getting out to Munich in September for Oktoberfest before settling down in the south of France. Well, guess what. It's happening! :)

The same day I arrive in Paris (the 18th), I'll take a train to Munich to stay for a week. I could not be more excited about this bonus trip! Though I know maybe ten words of German and have only been to Munich and a few places around Bavaria, I really love Germany. I haven't been in eight years, and I'm excited to return!

The entire reason this is possible is due to my wonderful German BFF, Irene. Irene and I met when she came to Texas as an exchange student my sophomore year of high school. We were both 15 years old, meaning our friendship just turned ten! She was staying with my amazing French teacher, and Madame asked me to show Irene to her classes on the first day of school. I did, and I asked her to have lunch with me that day. The rest is history! I loved getting to know Irene; she was my first close friend from "somewhere else," and I learned so much from her. She taught me so much about her home and our friendship played a large part in fostering my love of travel and learning about other cultures. We get along so well and have so much fun, and when she left at the end of the school year, I promised her that I would save my money to come and see her. One year later, I left the States for the very first time and headed to stay with her amazing family for two weeks in their beautiful town just southwest of Munich. It is still one of the best experiences of my life! (She even took me to the Swiss Alps for a weekend, no big deal, don't be jelly.) Since Irene left Texas in 2003, we have met up five times (once in Germany, twice in Texas, once in France, once in Louisiana). We have one of those friendships where we can just pick up right where we left off (which generally involves staying up way too late talking), despite time and distance. I can't WAIT to see her and her family again and have the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience Oktoberfest!

Texas 2002 - first picture together! Baby Katy & Baby Irene

Munich 2004

Switzerland 2004

Paris 2007

Texas 2012

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Oktoberfest should be super fun! I've never gone but I have friends who have, and they had a great time. I want to visit the swiss alps! Switzerland is on my "want to visit" list. :)

    ReplyDelete