a TAPIF language assistant blog / un blog d’une assistante d’anglais

Like "So you think you can France?" Come join me at my new home, Katy on the Road!

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Fun. times in Barcelona!

This past weekend, I headed down to Barcelona for the weekend with a few girls from my program. We had planned the weekend back in July when Alexandra posted in our Facebook group that there would be a concert for the band Fun. on October 20th. A few of us decided to go, and it was amazing! Not only was it a chance to see Fun., but it was also an opportunity to visit a new city (and a new country, as Spain is the first new country for me during this trip - I had already been to Germany, Austria, and France before this year) and to meet some new friends!

I went with Natalie (from Minnesota), Natalie (from Chicago), and Alexandra (also from Chicago). The adventure began as both Natalies and I arrived Friday night, took the metro to our hostel, only to be greeted with a woman who rapidly and repeatedly told us (in Spanish or Catalan*)... well, something. As I don't speak Catalan or Spanish, you can understand how I don't know what she told us. Despite three blank stares and my repeated confession/supplication of "no entiendo," she refused to slow down. All I got was "todo completo," which is NOT great news. Moral of the story is that apparently our reservation did no good, and they had called another hostel where we could stay in separate rooms. Gracias?

Obviously that wouldn't work for us. I had spotted another hostel up the road, and after much effort (imagine me speaking Spanish through an intercom on the street in a bit of rain at night), we secured a hostel for a little more than we were originally going to pay, but we had a private room and the owner was awesome. So sweet, and allowed me to use my broken Spanish to communicate (she went slowly and made efforts to understand).

We headed out to get a very late dinner (at 12:40 am), and almost weren't allowed to eat (the restaurant closes at 1), but I assured the server that "puedo comer rápido."

macaroni with Catalan cheeses and sausage... delish

The next morning, I had to sort some things out with the lovely hostel lady. That went something like this: 

"Nosotros libre habitación a los doce, pero no dormir aquí esta noche. Puedo dejar (gesture for bags) aquí?"
("We free habitation at noon, but no to sleep here tonight. I can leave (gesture for bags) here?")

As you can see... my "Spanish skills" aren't great, but hey, it works.

Plaça Catalunya

more Plaça Catalunya

Then we headed down La Rambla...

which is a long street with shops and restaurants

...and a market!

(here begins a series of awesome super colorful market photos)

Natalie bought some of the candied walnuts, and they were delish.

action shot

dragon fruit... didn't even know that was a thing

las golosinas (candy!)

something about the arts... I dunno, it's pretty.

You know you're not in the Estados Unidos anymore when a
drinking fountain looks this pretty.

near the port

me and Natalie (Minnesota), just chillin' with this león

Check out Columbus, pointing to the sea.
(Also check out how GLOOMY it was Saturday in Barça!
But much better than rainy.)

port

ridiculousness, part 1

ridiculousness, part 2

This statue is called the "Cap de Barcelona," and it was designed by 
the American artist Roy Lichtenstein for the 1992 Summer Olympics.

our lunch spot - notice the Pizza Texana? I love how many "Texan" 
foods there are in Europe... which very rarely resemble anything Texan.

sangria

paella carne

all four of us post-lunch**

Obviously I need to live on this street, because this is where the party's at.

action shot! Minnesota Natalie took this picture while walking backwards.**

me gusta

We thought maybe we could go into this building...
we couldn't.

 "I'm not hungry at all." "Me neither." "Me neither!"
2 minutes later... gelato happened.**

Barcelona Cathedral
(There are apparently 13 geese kept in the cloister, which is
pretty legit. If only the line hadn't been forever long, we could've
visited our feathered friends.)

I really like old fortifications, and that's what I'm
guessing this might be?

People in Catalonia are very proud to be Catalonian...
you can see the flags (red and yellow stripes) everywhere.

It looks gloomy and cold, but it was actually pretty 
muggy and 23° (~73°).

On our way to Fun., I was clearly VIP as I had my own row of metro seats.**

After some confusion, rain, and a line, we found ourselves
(hot and sweaty) inside the Sala Bikini, which was a pretty sweet venue!

Walk the Moon, the opening act
(I'd never heard of them, but the couple songs we got to hear were
pretty good, especially this song.) (Soon I'll put up a video I took.)

And then... FUN.

Ta-DAAAA!

Because it was a small venue, we were so close!

See?

They were great live, and I loved getting to sing as loudly as I could to something familiar. I love and connect to music and it serves as a kind of escape for me (though right now, I don't need an escape, because if you haven't noticed, my life is pretty fantastic). Basically, it was so.much.Fun. (See what I did there?) Also, the lead singer (Nate)'s parents were there, and he played a song he wrote for them ("The Gambler"), and it was precious.

Here are some clips that I took during the concert. I apologize for the following:
     1) None of them are complete songs.
     2) They're shaky.
     3) You can probably hear my hoarse/loud/out-of-tune concert singing voice sometimes. (I have several more videos I'm not posting as to not assail your ears with my bad tired singing.)


Afterward, we were EXHAUSTED (twelve hours of walking followed by three hours of standing at a concert will make you tired) so we headed home to the hostel like the old ladies we apparently are.

The next day we got up and constructed our own little Gaudí tour of Barcelona. Gaudí was a famous architect whose style is very unique... as you'll see! His designs have a dream-like, whimsical quality.

 Casa Batlló (Gaudí)

close up

Casa Milà, aka La Pedrera (Gaudí)

Not Gaudí... but... CAROLINA HERRERA!

I got a little distracted.

Check it, the sun came out!

Palau Güell (Gaudí)

Plaça Reial

the Sagrada Família, Gaudí's magnum opus

construction started in 1882 and is set to be finished around 2026

Honestly, the one non-Fun. thing I definitely wanted to see this
weekend was the Sagrada Família (I wanted to go inside!), but
unfortunately the line was incredibly long and we couldn't go in.
I'm still pretty sad. Guess who'll have to come back to Barça!

more construction, and a statue showing the date 
when construction began

My feet hurt sooo badly at this point, you have no idea
how difficult it was to get up after this.

And just like that, way too quickly, our weekend in Barcelona was over. I would have loved to have been able to do more, but there just wasn't enough time. Fun. was awesome, and totally worth it. It was my first taste of Spain, though I'm told Barcelona is very different from the rest of Spain. I know that I really want to come back. Oh, and another thing, my feet hurt REALLY badly. I made a mistake (as a somewhat seasoned traveler, I should have known better) and made poor shoe choices. Don't.ever.do.that. (Thunderstorms were predicted all weekend, so I prepped with rain boots. Which, as it turns out, are incredibly uncomfortable.) Anyway, I will definitely be coming back sometime, hopefully this year. On the to-do list: inside Sagrada Família and a picnic in Parc Güell. It's gonna happen, people!

*Catalan is the language spoken in the region of Catalonia in Spain (and in France, too). It is kind of a mixture of Spanish and French. For instance, in French, exit is sortie, in Spanish, it's salida, in Catalan, it's sortida. However, not all words are that easy to figure out.

**These pictures stolen from Minnesota Natalie. Thank you! :)

2 comments:

  1. You beat me to a Barca post but love the pics! Barcelona was a blast :) Also, I totes thought construction started later than that on Sagrada Familia, learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I took a few years of Spanish, but that's about all I would have been able to say too! The food looks amazing. The closest I've been to Spain is the airport but it looked so beautiful. The candy market and architecture look unreal. We just saw Fun. on SNL last night so I can only imagine how awesome they are to see up close! Glad you are having amazing adventures!

    ReplyDelete