a TAPIF language assistant blog / un blog d’une assistante d’anglais

Like "So you think you can France?" Come join me at my new home, Katy on the Road!

Monday, October 8, 2012

My life in pictures

Not a lot new going on, so for today, I'll just share a few pictures and observations about ma vie narbonnaise... Amusez-vous bien!

au centre-ville

my goûter à l'américaine... for shame
(This was my first soda since I've been to Europe,
and I can't help it if I was a little tired of pain au chocolat! Which, by the way, is something I never thought would happen.)

Violeta and me before going out with some new French friends this weekend

... but before you can leave campus (during the weekends), you must face a
series of challenges, one of which being the door with the lock at the bottom. SERIOUSLY. Every. Single. Time.

Les Halles de Narbonne, the marché
(Some days, there's a big market outside and it's really cool.
But I forgot my camera the day we went to the big market.)

the old bathroom entrances right outside les Halles
(which may or may not still be in commission)

for equality's sake

a close-up of the clock of les Halles

the delicious meal I had inside les Halles... 
quiche au jambon and pommes de terre paysannes

Violeta, Conchi (a Spanish teacher at my school), and I found some
neighborhood Vide-Greniers (empty-attics), basically yard (street) sales!

You can't really tell how it stretches down the street...
Oh, and I ended up buying a few cloth place mats to 
bring a little couleur to my chambre!

This sign is at a bakery where we've eaten several times.
It's actually open on Sundays, the staff is nice, and it's in
the Place de l'Hôtel de Ville. I adore the English exclamation
of "Home Bread!" at the bottom, which is a direct translation
of pain maison (which more naturally translates to "homemade bread.")

a millefeuilles (thousand leaves/sheets/layers, so named for its,
well, layers) that we shared at the aforementioned bakery

de beaux appartements

Yup, this is my life. Nbd.

I was in the middle of taking a picture of this cute little
store when Violeta happily emerged bearing her purchase
of powdered soup, bread, and sardines. This purchase later
saved us (stay tuned). I love this spontaneous picture!

un vieux bâtiment

crazy sky

So, yesterday (Sunday), we had discovered that there is a pizzeria that is open until 10 and that delivers (even on Sundays!), so, of course, that became our dinner plan. Quelle chance! However, when we went to call, they informed us they were no longer delivering. Fantastic. So we scraped together whatever food we had and made a go of it. We ended up eating powdered soup (luckily I had bought a tea kettle and mugs and Violeta had bought the soup), bread, leftover chips, and pain au chocolat. It. was. pathetic. But at least we didn't starve, and we were together, and we laughed basically the entire time. (It's situations like these where you'd cry if you were alone, but you laugh if you have someone!)

a World War II monument

I honestly don't know what to tell you.
Between these driving dogs and the cat who opens doors/
emerges from buildings on her own, we've come to the conclusion
that the animals are running this joint.
(Narbonne: Tout est possible!)

our friend Carrefour (the closest thing we have to a Target)

trees in parking lots: best idea ever
(please note roots)

Please note the SUV that is parked on the sidewalk/median,
despite the fact that there are three empty spaces shown in the picture
(not to mention about 50 others not seen in the photo).

Bébé Nolie, c'est toi?!

Garnier products are about 25 times more awesome
in France. I mean seriously, you should smell this stuff.

my own choices... I smell good, y'all.

Did I mention that I can see the cathedral out of both my bedroom
AND shower windows? This is what I see when I wash my hair.
For real.

the sad reality of my life as a French immigrant...
(paperwork, paperwork, paperwork)

What a difference a day makes! After our Carrefour trip, we now have
plates, utensils, and a little bit of real food to eat. Peà peu, we're 
improving! Also excuse our houseshoes and PJs. :)

No photos for these, but here are a couple quick observations...

1) Saturday, I had lunch with some other assistants and a couple teachers. Together we were six girls: one French, three Spanish, one German, and one American. All speaking French. It's moments like that when I LOVE traveling. And Europe. And my life.

2) Saturday night, Violeta and I went downtown, and on four separate occasions we ran into someone we know. We've been here a week. I find this to be hilarious. But it was a lot of fun! Not only that, but we randomly met three new people (all French), had great discussions, shared a meal or a crêpe, and went on with our lives. I'm by no means a small town girl, but honestly I'm having fun with it for the moment.

There you have it! Three days in the life of moi. À bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment