a TAPIF language assistant blog / un blog d’une assistante d’anglais

Like "So you think you can France?" Come join me at my new home, Katy on the Road!

Sunday, September 16, 2012

... And she's off!

Well, tomorrow's the big day! I'll leave my house early in the morning to fly Dallas-Birmingham-Miami-Paris. (Yes I know that's a lot of legs, but I got my ticket for $100 thanks to airline miles, so I'll take it!) When I arrive in Paris Tuesday morning, I'll spend a few hours in the airport and maybe the city before taking the Métro to Gare de l'Est and boarding a train for Munich, where I'll arrive Tuesday evening. Sooo basically, I'll be traveling for about 31 hours, depending on when Irene and I get home. (Y'all, figuring that out took a LOT of effort on my part. That's a lot of math + time zone trickery. You know I don't do math.) I'm going to be EXHAUSTED. But sometimes that's the price you pay to have the fun. Unlike life, in this particular situation, it's definitely all about the destination, not the journey. Sorry, Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I didn't actually start packing until Friday, but I now have everything I'll take in one (big) suitcase, a backpack, and my purse.

packing for multiple seasons in one suitcase = difficult.
Shout out to my Aunt Lisa for letting me borrow this giant luggage!

Oh! Also? I did get that Mexico-France apostille situation sorted out, and I've been pretty much off DDP for two weeks now, just in case y'all were wondering.

Despite running around like a crazy person the past week or so, I have gotten to spend a little quality time with some of those I love. I've said it before, but I am truly blessed. However, I hate to say it, but I didn't get to see everyone that I love and wanted to see before I left, and for that I'm sad and sorry! It's so hard with everyone's busy schedules. But thank God it's 2012 and not 1826 and we can still keep in contact easily. If I didn't get to see you this past week, let's make dates for June! :)

Something interesting that I've noticed is that, the past few weeks as I've spent time with people and said my goodbyes, I haven't been very sad. I was wondering: Am I heartless? But it's not that. It's that I know that it's only eight months and I already have my return ticket; it's not permanent or even indefinite. In addition, the people I am lucky enough to have in my life are solid, and I am 100% confident that my friendships and relationships will remain intact. In this very moment I am not sad; I'm just taking this opportunity to be incredibly grateful. (Side note: I know it'll hit me and I'll be sad/miss everyone rull bad at various points during my stay in France, so get ready for that.)

While I haven't been running high on emotion (e.g., sadness or excitement), I have had time for a few thoughts (between running around crossing things off the to-do list). And this pensiveness has led me to the following conclusion: It's a strange sensation when change happens suddenly and distinctly and you know that you are on the eve of an experience that will change you. Life changes all the time, but it usually happens gradually. It fascinates me to think that tomorrow I am embarking on a journey that will change and grow me in some way from who I am right now. I can't wait to see what happens.

I feel it an appropriate time to share with you a quote from a Mumford & Sons song, "The Cave." (I'm a little obsessed with Mumford & Sons, and listened to their first CD pretty much every.single.day. on my way to work at 6 am this past school year.) I love their lyrics in general; singing them extremely loudly in my car helped me through this past year. I identify with this set in particular:

"So make your siren's call
and sing all you want
I will not hear what you have to say.

'Cause I need freedom now
and I need to know how
to live my life as it's meant to be."

So I'm off, mes chers. Ignoring society's siren call of stability, financial security, my comfort zone, and familiarity. I'm gonna go figure out some things about myself and the world, see new places, make new friends, get my feet wet in the Mediterranean for the first time ever, read some books, teach some English, have some adventures, and live my life as it's meant to be.

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night
and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
-Professor Albus Dumbledore

See you in eight months, Texas.
Big love, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. As a fellow assistant, I am SUPER impressed you managed to fit everything into one suitcase!!! How did you do that?? I have 3...and dang, $100 for the airplane ticket!? Lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy,

    Wow, today's the day! Have a wonderful time (... well after the 31 hours of straight traveling...) and enjoy yourself! Yes, we will all miss you, but we are so excited and proud of you for taking the opportunity to do something SO awesome. Thank goodness for the internet so that we can all follow along on your adventure :) You've worked so hart that deserve a year where you get to do whatever you want, and being in France is pretty much the best way to accomplish that. Bon voyage!

    -Mattie (and Matt)

    ReplyDelete