a TAPIF language assistant blog / un blog d’une assistante d’anglais

Like "So you think you can France?" Come join me at my new home, Katy on the Road!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Ta-da!

Before I begin this story, let me reveal the end. (Spoiler alert.) I'm in Paris!

Now let's go to the beginning. You know those days when you're supposed to wake up at 5:30 am and, you know, move to a foreign country? But instead you're laying in bed at 5:45 and you, you know, get a voicemail from your airline that your flight's been cancelled?

I DO.

That's one way to wake up to a heart attack, btdubbs. Anyway, all's well that ends well because American Airlines actually meant to say they'd scheduled me for a better flight. (They really should start those messages off with something like "Girl do NOT worry because this has a happy ending!" so you don't have a coronary.) I left way later (so I got to go back to sleep) and got to Paris an hour earlier, cutting down my travel time.

But that leaves me with the whole "eight hour gap of time in Paris with 70 lbs of luggage" situation. Soooo I hung out for a while at a café in Charles de Gaulle (airport), bought my 12-25 card (discount card for people ages 12-25 that saves you money on France's train system), and got some métro tickets. I then took the RER into Paris (this is where it gets tricky).

All roads may lead to Rome, but apparently all trains go to Paris.

Luckily I only had only one métro line change to get to my train station. Thank God because it turns out the métro with luggage that's almost as big as you is, well, a difficult thing to manage. All was going fairly well (some escalators and one stairway down - loud, but doable) until I encountered (dun dun dunnnnnn) a GIANT staircase that I needed to go UP. I'm pretty tough so I set about to do it (though honestly I may have thrown my back out), but a nice French couple helped me and we had a lovely conversation in which they mistook me for a French person and then we talked about why I'm here. They are pretty much my favorite people of the day so far.

So now I'm just hanging out at the train station. I went outside and sat and people watched for a while... it's lovely outside, perfect with a cardigan. 

Here's you a little picture of my not-so-fascinating corner of Paris.
A girl can only do so much with luggage weighing her down.

It's kind of torturous, actually, to have Paris outside your window and time for a walk but not the ability to do so. Oh well! Guess I'll just have to come back soon. :) For now I'll just sit in this café, drink my chocolat chaud and talk to NO ONE on Facebook because it's 6:00 am in Texas. 

Luckily this pigeon is here to hang out. Yes. Inside the café in the station. 
I hope you know I look like a crazy person for taking a picture of this guy.
It's all for you, people. It's all for you.

I'll be off to Munich in a few hours! Get excited - I AM! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment