a TAPIF language assistant blog / un blog d’une assistante d’anglais

Like "So you think you can France?" Come join me at my new home, Katy on the Road!

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Narbonne does Noël

It's Christmastime in Narbonne!

Even Carrefour's excited.

Christmas lights - Also, if you look closely, you can see the cathedral behind the first and second trees.


At this point, the tree was half-flocked.

snowmen and palm trees - This made me laugh.

This is a story. I wanted to send some Christmas presents, including edible items, home to my family. When I tried to send a couple chocolates in a package in November, the postwoman stopped me, on account of the United States not permitting food items through the mail. I happen to know you can (at least sometimes) receive food items in the mail, as I have done it before in the States. So I used my own boxes (so the post office wouldn't see what I put inside), but the boxes were covered with words. I covered them with computer paper (Edith's idea), decorated the computer paper (my idea), then sealed them with book covering paper (Violeta's idea). I figured making them as difficult as possible to open would make the customs officers less likely to open them. I also figured they'd see my "drawings" and not want to ruin them. I also hid the food in an old pair of shoes, a tin, etc, so that it wouldn't show up easily on the scanners. Turns out it was a success, because my parents have now received both packages! Bwahaha I win this round, USPS!



Christmas even arrived in my room! Starring (left to right, front to back) Amy, Justin, & Marshall (card), Anthony, Kara, Stayton, & Jake (card), Irene (advent calendar card with Neuschwanstein), my Katy glass (previously referenced), my tortue porte chance (previously mentioned), my santons (Joseph, Jesus, and Mary) which I bought at Narbonne's Christmas market, and my Ferrero Rocher box from Cathy and fam.

Carrefour - 2.50 window decals
cheap Christmas cheer

... even in the bathroom!

Off to a crêperie for a birthday!

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Dörte! (Dörte is German and is the German assistant at my school.)

a galette is a savory (meal) crêpe... one of my favorite French food staples


On the left is Les Halles (our market).






fully-flocked tree

mini ferme de Noël (mini Christmas farm) - basically a petting zoo!


our regular market (Les Halles) decorated for Christmas


Marché de Noël, Narbonne-style

A Marché de Noël (Christmas market) is a big tradition in many countries in Europe (called different things in different countries, of course). You can buy food (like crêpes, pommes d'amour ("apples of love" - candied apples), and gaufres (waffles)), drinks, and various items from vendors. 

Clara and Emily - Clara's looking at the candles, and Emily is distracted! Clara is German and is housemates with Anais, one of the Spanish assistants, and Emily is English and is an English assistant in primary schools.

me with some vin chaud (mulled wine), very traditional in France in winter

These are santons - figurines for the nativity scene. A French nativity scene is called a crèche, but it includes much more than just the Biblical nativity. In Provence, a region in the southeast of France, they started the tradition of the crèche which includes an entire provençal village (produce seller, basket maker, baker, etc). Many families collect a new santon ("little saint") each year.

--- PAUSE ---

While we're talking santons and crèches, I wanted to show you a full crèche. Remember my group of older students? Whom I tutor on Thursday nights at Danièle and Gilbert's house? Well, Danièle and Gilbert have quite an impressive crèche filled with santons from Provence.



--- UNPAUSE ---

(back to the marché de Noël)


Clara and I in awe of the many santons

At this booth, you can make your own garland of lights by choosing the colored balls you like; I bought one and will put up photos later. :)




Joyeux Noël, Narbonne!

And Joyeux Noël to you, my family, friends, and blog readers,
from Narbonne to wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment