a TAPIF language assistant blog / un blog d’une assistante d’anglais

Like "So you think you can France?" Come join me at my new home, Katy on the Road!

Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Dinner Party

On Sunday, December 16th, Cathy (one of my teacher colleagues, previously mentioned) invited Violeta and me over to her house for a big Christmasy lunch. She also invited a couple of the teachers from our department, including Edith (also previously mentioned). Altogether we were ten, and it was a fantastic time! We started at noon with an apéro (apéritif - pre-meal drink) and entrées (appetizers). From beginning to end, everything was amazing. The proof is in the pictures!*

festive table

You can see two plates of foie gras, a French specialty.
This was my first time eating foie gras, and I was pretty lucky because Cathy's family actually makes it, so it was real foie gras fait maison.

foie gras, two prunes with butter, and fig jelly

the group (minus Cathy and her husband)

bread, foie gras, and fig jelly, pre-consumption
I was a bit wary of if I'd like it or not, but I did! The flavors went together really well, and I enjoyed it much more than had I eaten foie gras without the help of the pros. I won't be eating foie gras regularly (it's so rich), but I did enjoy my experience very much.

the rest of the food... potatoes, cooked chestnuts, chicken, raisin/fruit salad, haggis, and Yorkshire pudding with gravy (Cathy is an English teacher and had lived in Scotland, so she's a fan of British food, hence the haggis and Yorkshire pudding.)

Edith and Dominique (two of my colleagues) - Edith is preparing the chocolate fondue fountain!

The look in their eyes is the same look that we all had as we watched the chocolate fountain for several minutes... a look of awe and pure joy! We were like entranced little kids.

preparing to have sparkling wine with dessert

A chocolate fountain is ALWAYS a good idea. Seriously, think about your life. Now try to imagine a situation that wouldn't be better if it involved a chocolate fountain.

From apéro and appetizers, to foie gras, to the main meal, to salad and cheese, to dessert, to coffee and tea took a good six hours. That, my friends, is what I call a meal! I love the way French people treat meals like this as such special and social events. Obviously they don't eat like this everyday, but even on an everyday basis they generally allow more time than we do to eat. The meal was fantastic, the company was wonderful, and all-in-all we enjoyed a great Christmasy French meal all together. 

*Actually, the proof was in the tasting, but I can't really share that with you as easily, now can I?

1 comment:

  1. The table is adorable! You are so brave for trying foie gras! Matt is a "I'll try anything once" person too, but I have a harder time, so I think that would be a big deal for me. Looks like such a fun party! Loving all your posts about Christmas in France/Germany, and totally wishing that it was more popular to have outdoor Christmas markets in America. Matt and I would love to join in the tradition of building up a miniature manger/town each year. Happy New Year!

    -Mattie (and Matt)

    ReplyDelete