a TAPIF language assistant blog / un blog d’une assistante d’anglais

Like "So you think you can France?" Come join me at my new home, Katy on the Road!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pourquoi apprendre le français?

Well, if you're thinking about learning a language (or your child is learning a language), might I suggest French? I'm biased, you say? Well it turns out it's actually a pretty great language to learn. Fair warning: pronunciation and spelling are going to get you, but if you work hard, you can get them down. Anyway, I always got a little flack for learning/studying French in Texas...

"Why would you learn French if you could learn Spanish?"
"We're in Texas. You'll never use that."
"WHAT are you going to do with that?"
"Why don't you learn something useful?"
"You'll never get a job with a degree in French."

... and finally for teaching French...

"Not much job security there, huh?"
"Why would you choose to teach French, of all the things? In Texas, especially?"*

So, you see, it's not been an easy road. Haters gonna hate.

Anyway, a former colleague (hi RT!) posted this article the other day about why French is a great language to learn. Take a peek if you're interested in learning a language and you need help deciding (or if you're already learning French and you want some validation and encouragement).

taken from moreintelligentlife.com, the source of the article

*Because it is rewarding. Because it's interesting to me. Because I'm good at it. Because it's not just about language, but about showing my students that there is a bigger world out there. Because I get to encourage another one of my passions, travel. Because as a teacher, I don't just get to teach French, I get to teach life. I get to be interested in the lives of my students, be a role model, be there for them, help them, and serve something that is bigger than myself. Because even after a rough year (last year), I still want to go back and teach high school French again. Because it makes me happy. There you go, haters.

No comments:

Post a Comment